Antonio Conte goes on bizarre rant over future of Inter Milan side after finishing second in Serie A

0
5
Antonio Conte outlined his frustrations with the Inter Milan board in an angry post-match rant


‘We had to eat dung for months’: Antonio Conte goes on a bizarre rant over the future of his Inter Milan side as they finish the Serie A season just a point behind champions Juventus

  • Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte outlined his frustrations with the club’s hierarchy
  • His side finished the Serie A season in second place, one point behind Juventus 
  • Conte said his squad needed more protection from criticism earlier in the year

Antonio Conte outlined his frustrations with the Inter Milan board in a bizarre post-match rant following the conclusion of the Serie A season.

Inter claimed a 2-0 victory over Atalanta to finish the campaign in second place, one point behind champions Juventus, but Conte was far from happy at the full-time whistle. 

The former Chelsea manager believes the club’s hierarchy should have done a better job of protecting the squad from the criticism they received when results were going against them earlier in the season. 

Antonio Conte outlined his frustrations with the Inter Milan board in an angry post-match rant

His Inter Milan side finished the Serie A season in second place, one point behind Juventus

His Inter Milan side finished the Serie A season in second place, one point behind Juventus

He told Sky Sport Italia: ‘It has been a tough year on a personal level, very tough. I don’t think the players saw their work recognised, I don’t think I saw my work recognised and we all received very little protection from the club.

‘We have to grow and improve in all areas, including off the field, and a big club should protect its players more. We’ll discuss it all at the end of the season, I have to meet the president (Steven Zhang) and he’s in China right now.’

Conte also praised his players for creating a siege mentality at the San Siro and accused the club of failing to learn from its past mistakes, referencing an interview with former manager Luciano Spalletti in 2017. 

The former Chelsea boss praised his players for creating a siege mentality at the San Siro

The former Chelsea boss praised his players for creating a siege mentality at the San Siro

‘It was very, very intense this year, difficult, and the lads did well to isolate ourselves and create unity within us, despite the difficulties. I don’t like people who get on the bandwagon and I saw a lot of that with Inter this year.

‘We had to eat dung for months and got zero protection. My problem is that I have a vision, I see the path we have to take and I know what we need to do. 

‘I saw the other day an interview that Luciano Spalletti gave at Inter in 2017. We’re now in 2020 and nothing has changed.

Conte said he will meet and discuss the situation with the club's president Steven Zhang

Conte said he will meet and discuss the situation with the club’s president Steven Zhang 

‘I can be a lightning rod for the first year, but if you don’t learn and keep making the same mistakes, then that’s just crazy. 

‘I want to be absolutely clear that I am not talking about the transfer market or the players. I want that to be very clear.’

Inter still have a chance of earning some silverware before the European football campaign concludes. They will face LaLiga side Getafe in the last 16 of the Europa League on August 5  with the competition taking place in Germany.

Advertisement



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here